• question-icon

Does constant stuffy nose cause recurring dizziness?

I've been having mild (but annoying) dizziness off and on for a week. This happens to me several times a year to varyng degrees, and I have yet to get a clear answer on why or a solution. I do have a dust mite allergy and use Astelin daily, but it doesn't seem to help. My sinus are constantly "stuffy" without a runny nose. Could this be the cause of the dizziness?
Thu, 16 Oct 2014
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response

Thank you for asking at HCM.

I went through your history and would like to make suggestions for you as follows:

1. Persons with lng standing nose/sinus obstruction can develop problem in middle ears which ultimately can lead to balance/equilibrium disturbances like dizziness, vertigo, etc.

2. Were I treating you, I would suggest you intranasal corticosteroids nasal spray (such as mometasone or fluticasone) for at least 4 weeks.

Personally I would prefer intranasal corticosteroids over Astelin (which is an intranasal antihistamine) because antihistamines do not work much on obstruction.

3. I would also suggest you regular steam inhalation and nasal saline irrigation. This will help relieve obstruction and will help "open up" sinus openings to drain sinuses. Please take care to avoid burns while steam inhalation.

4. I would also suggest you to consult an ENT surgeon who will examine both your nose cavities and ear. Should he find any abnormality in middle ear cavity, that may be treated also.

Hope above suggestions will be helpful to you.

Should you have any further query, please feel free to ask at HCM.

Wish you the best of the health ahead.

Thank you & Regards.