Does clotting post TURP cause more clotting?

Hi I am a surgical nurse and would like to know if it is correct that post TURP if a patient has heavy clotting and is blocking that this could encourage more clotting if we do not manage to irrigate all of the clots away. I have been told this is because when a clot is breaking down within the bladder that it releases clotting factor and so more clotting can occur. I can find any thing on this. Many thanks Chrissie
Mon, 5 Oct 2015
Urologist 's  Response
Hello Chrissie and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, let me assure you, that clots after a TURP need evacuation.
For an effective evacuation of all clots,you must use a TOOMEY'S syringe.
Then irrigate again with dilute betadine-saline,and return will be clear.
The patient must be on an antibiotic, and remove catheter only after clear urine drains for 24-48 hours. He could take ethamsylate tablet twice daily.
Advise him to drink about 12 glasses fluids daily.He should take a laxative.
If you want my expert opinion,you may send it to me as a direct question.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.