Does chewing tobaccoo cause strokes

Does chewing tobaccoo cause strokes?
Thu, 1 Aug 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
The habit of snuff or chewing tobacco can be considered by many as a very unclean habit.
The substance is still absorbed into the bloodstream and the side effects of chewing tobacco can be detrimental to health and can even lead to developing a serious illness such as cancer.
Other serious health problems associated with the smokeless habit include an increased heart rate and blood pressure.
Heart attack and stroke can happen because the arteries constrict; there is an increased risk of blood clots; both of these effects are caused by the nicotine. Oral or mouth cancer are not the only types of cancer associated with a smokeless habit; some of the cancer-causing chemicals can get into other vital organs such as the stomach, esophagus, bowels, and bladder.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
People who use smokeless tobacco products like snus have a slightly higher risk of having a fatal heart attack or stroke as compared to non-users.
Nicotine is a mild stimulant, it might increase the risk of certain cardiovascular outcomes, such as stroke.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Neurologist Dr. Sandhya Manorenj's  Response
Hi
Yes chewing tobacco causes stroke .Tobacco chewing doubles the risk for stroke when compared to a non tobacco chewers. It reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood, causing the heart to work harder and allowing blood clots to form more easily.It causes atherosclerosis. It also increases the amount of build-up in the arteries, which may block the flow of blood to the brain, causing a stroke.

lori's  Response
Chewing tobacco is not going to directly lead to a stroke. A stroke, by definition, is a blockage of blood to some portion of the brain, at least for 90% of strokes this is true. The nicotine found in all tobacco is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it constricts your blood vessels. This in turn can cause increases in blood pressure and if not treated this can lead to the failure of a blood vessel in the brain, and this called a hemorrhagic stroke, but only occurs in about 10% of the cases. You would typically need to have fairly high, untreated hypertension for some time for a vessel to break and have this happen, that is why it is fairly rare, but certainly not unheard of. With that said, no, you can chew away, but if you have a history of hypertension or it runs in the family, make sure and check the ole BP from time to time to make sure its ok. If it gets too high you might consider giving it up. I hope this is helpful.
JONATHAN WILDE's  Response

I have been having migraines now for about a month. Everyday! I have had a ct scan done have had a tooth pulled and was in the hospital for 3 days while they ran 2 diffrent stress tests and everything has come back negative. I am on suboxen, xanex, and mirtazapine. I also chew tobacco and have been given 800mg advil, gabapentin, and steriods and nothing has helped me get better. If you here anything let me know.