Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
179 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Does an ice pack help to alleviate a lump on the shin?

My stepson got kicked in the shin playing soccer today. He s got an egg-sized lump on the side of his shin bone, but walked home and doesn t seem to be in too much pain. I m wondering if we should just ice it and wait, or if it s worth going to urgent care to get an x-ray. Thanks!
Thu, 7 Jun 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

If after trauma only swelling present and not much pain present with no reduction in movement than chance of fracture less. But still if pain present than in one or two day you can simply get an X-ray done to check fracture. Ice can be applied over affected swelling. Ibuprofen like non steroid anti-inflammatory drug can be prescribed to relieve inflammation and pain Leg elevated while sleeping. Avoid strenuous activities. Take enough rest. Consult orthopedic surgeon for examination if needed.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi, I got hit on the shin with a hockey ball, I was wearing shin pads, the shin pads split and now I am left with a large lump on shin. It s like...