Does an asprin a day really reduce the risk of heart disease ?

Does an Asprin a day really reduce the risk of Heart Disease?
Tue, 30 Aug 2011
's  Response
Talk with your doctor. It doesn't reduce the risk of "heart disease" per se. It reduces the chances of your blood clotting and thus can reduce the chance of having a heart attack. But this comes at a cost of a slightly increased risk of bleeding---for instance, bleeding into the gut, into a bruise or even into the head, the latter of which is called a stroke, which can be serious. In some people, an aspirin a day is a good thing. But in some people, the risks outweigh the benefits, and only a doctor who knows the patient should give advice on this matter.
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
Hi,Rajan thanks for query.Aspirin is not recommended for primary prevention ,means using drugs in the patients who do not have heart disease is not advised.It is used in those patients who either had some cardiac problems and to avoid having such things again.A word of caution,if you taking one,please do not discontinue without talking to your doctor.
wishing you good health.