Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Does age affect your blood pressure?

does age affect your blood pressure?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Age should have nothing to do with a person's blood pressure. It is our physical health that affects it. If you lie around eating chips, smoking, no exercise and generally don't take any special care of yourself.....your blood pressure is going to go higher as you get older. A person's genes can affect the blood pressure, even if they exercise, eat right and generally do the right thing. The cardiologists I work with feel that everybody should maintain a blood pressure around 120/80. That tells me if you try to eat right, exercise, don't smoke and generally do your best to live a healthy lifestyle, then your blood pressure has little to do with your age and a lot to do with how you live. And of course, those who have the "bad" gene pool go to their docs and get medical treatment to keep the BP down. I hope this helps answer your question.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor