Does a low carbohydrate diet cause darkening of the skin?

Hi doctor, my son, age 43, has changed his diet and his exercise. He now eats large salads for lunch and supper. He limits sweets and he limits carbs like cereal and bread products. I noticed this week that his skin is quite a bit darker than usual, and it has a yellow tinge to it. Can this be related to his new diet ? He has been doing this for 18 months now.......
Wed, 27 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I think the darker skin and yellow tinge are not related to vegetable and full grains. I think he is suffering from hiperbilirubinemia which gives yellow color to skin.
The causes of hiperbilirubinemia are:
*Hepatitis A,B,C D,,E, cirrhosis
*Gallbladder stones and colangitis
*Cancer of liver or gallbladder
*Pancreatitis or cancer of pancreas head
*Some medications and autoimmune disease.

I recommend him to do:
*AST, ALT,bilirubin direct and indirect.
*total blood count.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.