Does a gluten free diet help in reducing the size of a goiter?

Hi, I have a multinodular goitre with the palpable lump corresponding to the largest mass in mid and lower pole of left lobe. It measures 39x23x22mm. Left lobe measures 17cc, right 6cc. I’m waiting on appt for ultrasound guided FNAC. Do I have hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism? 2 weeks ago I changed my diet and have gone gluten-free, no coffee, eating more bananas, avocados, fish etc. Can this diet reduce the size of goitre? Is radioactive iodine an option as I don’t like the idea of surgery and lifelong medication? Thanks
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

If this is a thyroid disease or dysfunction, then one has to take medicines for a life time, with the surgery or without the surgery unless the function of thyroid is intact.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.