Does Lithium cause elevated cholesterol levels?

yes my doctor has me taking Lithium for my bipolar disorder but an unusual side effect I think is that my cholesterol level is to high according to a blood test. the reason I think it s a side effect is because My entire diet consist of low cholesterol to no cholesterol foods and I m not sure what to think??? Is it the medicine Lithium or something else.
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Lithium can cause hypothyroidism and consequent hypercholesterolaemia. Check your serum Free T3,Free T4 & TSH.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.