Does Glyburide cause nose bleeds?

Hi, I m 63 yrs old and I have been taking 1/2 a pill a day of Glyburide since July 2017 and i also take anti-rejection pills, Tacrolimus. I had a Liver transplant in 2004. In the past 5 days i have had 2 nosebleeds while i was on the toilet defecating. I feel fine and seem to have lots of energy. Could it be the Glyburide that is causing the nosebleeds or do I have high blood pressure?
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I can't say what's the cause in your case but I can provide information about common side effects of these drugs. Glyburide may cause various hematologic disorders that may present with nosebleeds but this is something that occurs only rarely. Tacrolimus on the other hand causes many side effects. Most patients are expected to experience multiple side effects including several hematological ones (like thrombocytopenia, coagulation disorders, etc). These effects are far more common than in the case of glyburide. It also causes hypertension to almost every patient who uses it. The relation of nosebleeds to hypertension is a debated one though. Although you're going to find such "information" all over the internet - and perhaps some doctors will also tell you about it - there is no documented link between high blood pressure and nosebleeds. Patients with hypertension are usually harder to treat, so this is something to consider. So in conclusion, tacrolimus is a potential cause for your nosebleeds. More common causes should be investigated first by visiting an ENT specialist to check your nose.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.