Does Duphaston cause brown spotting during pregnancy?

I’m 7weeks pregnant . Went for an ultrasound and doc could only find the gestational sac and yolk sac and told it looks like 4-5weeks . Had no cramp or spotting and periods was regular before. She prescribed duphaston 2 times per day for 3weeks. Since taking the medication stomach cramping very much Everyday and also brown spottings which was not there before the prescription .is it safe to continue with the tablet or stop and see the doctor?
Mon, 22 Jul 2019

I think you should continue taking progesterone because it is used to support pregnancy and to stop spotting.
If you stop it suddenly the spotting is going to be increased and even bleeding may occur.
Consult your doctor to increase progesterone dosage.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka, General & Family Physician
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response

Duphaston can cause cramping in the stomach. But the brown spotting is not related to it. The spotting will decrease gradually. In case the bleeding increases than do consult your gynecologist.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN