Does Doxycycline cause swelling in the wrist?

Hello. I’m taking Doxycycline tablets for shingles but I don’t think that is what that is. Last Friday nite I was bitten by something that caused a rash and swelling down my left arm. Now my left wrist is swelling and I am getting stabbing pains down my arm into my fingers. Is this a side effect of the antiobiotic?
Thu, 28 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Shingles is a viral infection caused by varicella zoster virus. Sometimes, antiviral medications are required. Doxycycline is an antibiotic treating bacterial infection. So, it can't be used to treat Shingles unless complicated with viral infection. The swollen arm with pain are due to being bitten by any insect. Most probably it got infected, explaining why doctor prescribed doxycycline. That is not a side effect of this antibiotic. I advise to keep the arm raised and follow your doctor's advice rigorously.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.