Does Crestor cause muscle pain?

I had muscle pain relating to taking lipitor with elevated CPK. It took several months for the muscle pain to dissipate. My doctor now suggests I take Crestor instead, but I am leary of taking another statin. My cholesterol is at 240, with 201 LDL.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

All statins may cause muscle pain and elevated CPK levels. Substituting one statin for another may work for some patients. You can find out only by trying. I would have gone for a less potent statin though. Crestor is the most potent statin. The most potent statins usually have more side effects but this is unpredictable on individual basis.

The level of your total cholesterol cannot be evaluated it on its own. Your medical history (diabetes, coronary heart disease, etc) are very important but 201 is too high for LDL and treatment is probably inevitable.

I hope you find my comments helpful! Please get back to me if you'd like more information or any clarifications.

Kind Regards!