Do you have to fast for an echocardiogram??

Do you have to fast for an echocardiogram?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
No, there is no need to fast for an Echo.

My son is 11 years old. From few day he was feeling fast breathing on exertion. Doctor prescribed ECHO. ECHO result is as under:- Situs Solitus, Levocardia, normal pulmonary systemic/ venous connection, AV and VA Concordance, Normally related great arteries, No ASD/PDA, Intact IVS, Chambers normal, MRI, No AR, Normal Aortic Arch, No effusion

Female:: 6o yrs: Diabetic 4 yrs: Fasting 118 Post prandial 201 Echo Results: No Rwma Normal L v systotic function : Lv : 63% Gr. I L. v..Diastolic Dys function Trivial TR IAS & Ivs intact Normal valves, chambers No clot / A NEURYSM No peri cardial effusion No PAH what is my position!

How is a stress echo different then a normal echo of the heart. I had some regurgitation on the normal one so now I m doing the stress one. Can a stress one show an infected heart valve (or a small growth in endocardium) better then a normal one?

Recent questions on  Echocardiography

have been having episodes of hypertension and cardiac pain. I spent Tuesday night in the ER getting blood work done, including a hs-CRP test which came back elevated at 7.4 mg/dL. I had a troponin test done that came back as slightly elevated (0.9 ng/mL). I also had an EKG which showed tachycardia (resting heart rate up into the 160s) as well as episodes of a-fib, and an echocardiogram which showed my left atrium was significantly thickened/larger than expected for a normal twenty year old. I was admitted to the cardiac unit over night for observation and given nitroglycerin for the pain as well as medication for my blood pressure. The blood pressure levels regulated somewhat, going down to average of 138/95 at discharge. They gave me a preliminary diagnosis of angina which is shocking since I m 20, of normal weight, have a healthy diet, and normal cholesterol. I ve been referred to a cardiologist and am scheduled for a stress test on Monday. What should I expect? What will the stress test show? Also, what does a enlarged left atrium mean? Is it serious? thanks!

I have chronic a-fib, 24/7. It was previously controlled with different meds following a cardio version, but that is no longer effective. I now live at 60 of altitude in Houston, and take yearly trips, or more often, to New Mexico, Colorado and/or Wyoming, where I grew up. The altitudes vary from 8500 or 9000 to 7200 and down to about 6000 . I am a 73 yr old female, overweight and fairly sedentary due to exercise fatigue from the a-fib. I am contemplating a vacation of 2 weeks or less at an altitude of 7000 or 8000 . We would be making the ascent by automobile, and I don t anticipate any hiking or climbing. My blood pressure is well-controlled at about 120/70 but my heart rate is obviously erratic and usually rapid at 80-90. My question is whether this is something I can safely do? I had an echocardiogram, an ECG and a semiannual checkup with my cardiologist about 3 weeks ago.

Hi there. I am a 35 year old female 5'7 155 lbs with a 7 month old baby delivered by cesarean. I have had shortness of breath that worsens with physical exertion since the last month of my pregnancy but am otherwise in good health. The last 2 months it has been getting progressively worse to the point where I have to catch my breath sometimes in conversation. I am taking domperidone to increase my breastmilk production and have been for 2 months. I have been to the ER where I have had an ECG, ct scan, x-ray and bloodwork, as well as a pulmonary function test. All results were within normal ranges except my oxygen levels in my blood were low - however the test was taken peripherally, not through a central line. Also, my resting heart rate was 118, and when I did a stress test, within 2 minutes my heart rate was at 200. They are sending me for an echocardiogram next. Do you think this could be adult onset asthma or a reaction to domperidone or is it my heart?

I am 16 years old girl and already a few days my heart palpitations. Do not get stressed, do not drink any alcohol, not smoke. This may indicate a heart pounding heart disease? In the four years I was sent to theÿ echocardiography without cardiac problems only preventive pediatrician that due to my hydrocephalus exclude hypoplastic heart syndrome. This syndrome was excluded by echocardiography. If these my current heart problems (palpitations at rest) meant something more serious, followed by heart surgery? So what would it be? Heart disease? If it was this, what is the treatment?

my 15 year old son says he is getting light headed when working out and thinks his heart beat is irregular

My husband has had heart palpating and then he said that it goes up into his neck,he says that they often happen ,sometimes two or three times a week. Do you have an opinion about what could be happening. He says after it happens he says it makes...

My mother today morning felt like head was rotating and her vision for few seconds was blue. So went to doctor for check up she said that BP was high and asked to take ECG. I have attached the same. After seeing the ECG she asked me take a 2D...