Do you consider the harm you can cause when you ASK or ANSWER medical questions on line ?

Do you consider the harm you can cause when you ASK or ANSWER medical questions on line? I am a psy. therapist specializing in cardiology. My education and experience allows me not only to ask some of these questions, but answer them as well. I do not go outside of my professional realm, and I do not give erroneous answers. I m surprised, even shocked at some of the questions, and appalled by some of the answers. It wouldn t be so scary if the people asking were in any way cognizant of the dangers involved here. The asker nearly always chooses an answer that makes them comfortable, whether it comes close to the right answer or not. Some people can be in grave denial as far has their healthcare concerns, which makes this again, dangerous. I am sure that many healthcare professionals would agree. Here s an example. My Mother s blood pressure is 200/100. What can I do to help? Honest and well intentioned question. However, I saw Best Answer , but the asker did not .Instead, as I said, the comfortable answer was choosen.A correct answer is not exercise and watch your diet ?
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
's  Response
Most of us in the medical profession give an answer based on knowledge and/or experience....and we always make a point of saying....talk to your physician or get to the ER pronto. The question about the BP of 200/100 bothered me also...Using "herbs" was not a good answer either (it wasn't chosen)....that BP needed quick intervention... I think the questions are sincere...at least most of them. I also know answers can be found in a search engine. I think some people ask questions on this type forum to get their answers in layman's term, not medical mumbo jumbo. I also think many are afraid to ask questions of those who care for them and/or their loved ones. Lets face it, some doctors do not visit a patient long enough to allow pts time to ask questions...and if the questions are asked, they (the doctors and other medical personel) throw out terms the average person never heard of..... I think there is a need for this type forum....I also think the persons asking questions should do more research via their physician and on the internet. The answers here should not be a quick fix, nor should the askers limit their knowledge to what they read in these answers. Personally I have learned a lot about different areas of medicine because of some answers. I've gone into specific areas I found in search engines...because I knew what to look for from the info given. Sometimes the info is a link...sometimes it is a term used....it differs, but the door IS open to do the research. I would suggest that every person asking a question get better use from the answers by doing more research if there is time...or get to your physician or ER if the problem needs immediate intervention....Got chest pain? Don't stop here...bypass Yahoo and get to the ER!! DAH!