Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Do i need any further testing regarding HIV and how accurate is these test?

Dear doctors, this is male from mumbai, India this is with reference to my last exposure unprotected oral sex protect vaginal sex with sex worker its been almost 52 days now i have taken following test. 1.HIV antibodies 1 2 rapid test after 10 days - negative 2.HIV Antibodies by elisa after 21 days - Negative 3. p-24 antigen after 27 days - negative 4.Hiv antibodies by elisa -negative,Ausantigen-negative,VDRL-Non Reactive 5.HIV DUO-Non reactive,HIV1RNA PCR-not Detected after 42 days. My questions is here do u think i need any further testing regarding HIV how accurate is these test @ that period?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Mar 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  745
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
  Anonymous's Response

Hi... Except for the p24 antigen tests, all the antibody tests are accurate in diagnosing HIV.. However a repeat of these tests is recommended after a period of 3 months.. This is because of a phenomena of seroconversion which is seen with HIV infection (the antibodies which were not present initially can start to appear after a period of 3 months).. So a repeat of the antibody test is essential.. P24 antigen test is not a very useful test in diagnosing HIV.. Discuss with your doctor for more information..

Answered: Tue, 6 Apr 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]

Related questions you may be interested in


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor