Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Do food allergies cause dry skin and anemia in infants ?

Hi.. I am from Dhaka,Bangladesh. My sister has been suffering from dry skin allergy (as per doctor s perception) since she was 1.5 years old.. Under his supervision for 6 months she got rid of it for a bit.. Now she is 5 years old..she weighs 28 kgs.. We tend to believe that whenever she eats protein substances like meat, egg, milk or so, she seems to getting her allergic symptoms back..recently, she has got those rashes back that itches and prickles..she has got rashes all over her body.. from scalp or hair follicles to her foot.. these rashes have covered her whole body.. We don t know what to feed her or how to treat her in these circumstances as we don t know if it is food allergy ..the skin of the lower part of her body has been affected the most that seems to be peeling when dried.. She also has a case of anemia and has got a dark circle beneath her eyes.. FYI, her serum IGE count is 154.3 IU/ml and my mom had allergy in her early age which does not exist now.. looking forward to ur reply.. Thanks. Arnab
Asked On : Sat, 6 Aug 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  225
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases 's  Response
Hi Arnab
Welcome to HealthcareMagic
Your sister seems to have Atopic dermatitis which includes dry skin scaling and allergic tendencies
Food allergy is commonly seen with dairy products like egg milk, wheat,sea foods and nuts. If she is allergic to these she has to avoid it otherwise it may cause her harm in the form of allergic rash to even severe anaphylactic reaction
As for milk u can try soy formulas and rice and pulses and fruits may be used .
As for dry skin she has to use emollients or moisturizers daily n mild glycerine soap only.
For allergic reactions pls take prompt treatment from doctor.
With age the symptoms do decrease
Kindly consult a dermatologist for better results
Answered: Sun, 7 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor