Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Do I need to undergo surgery for Atrial Septal Defect ?

I am sam.My age 38,height:158cm,weight:58.I have (ASD(OS) mitral valve normal;interatial septum o.s ASD left to right sunt size1.5CM.I don t have hypertension disease).Dr,may u clear one question.Now i am taking OMEGA 3(amway company) it no problem to our body.And also how is my heart condition.kindly explain me about my Medical report.I must take close this cole?or?our doctor told me,this very small cole so,not necessary colse this cole.what s ur suggestion.DR plz give clear ans to me.
Thu, 19 Jan 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Good Day
The small ASD may better be closed to prevent complications in the future but you must follow as your Doctor has advised because he has examined you. You can take Omega 3 fatty acids as it is healthy to reduce high triglyceride level in the body. Take in RDA value and not more.
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist, Interventional Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma's  Response
ASD is a hole in the wall that separates the right atrium from the left atrium, which are the chambers of the heart receiving impure and pure blood respectively. Because of this hole, blood shunts from the left side to the right side and there is excess flow of blood to the lungs.
1.5 cm hole is a moderate sized ASD. Ideally, it should have been detected and closed in your childhood. However, in many such cases, a diagnosis is achieved at this age only because the ASD usually does not cause any symptoms till very very late.
Having detected this, it is probably better to close this hole if there is any evidence that the right atrium and right ventricle are enlarging in size or if the pulmonary artery pressure is increasing. A detailed echo of the heart will give you the answers.
There are two ways of closing the defect - by open surgery or by using a special device which can be done percutaneously (through the groin, without open surgery).
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor