Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Do I need to go to the ER ?

My cholesterol level was 191 on my blood test. Do I need to go to the ER ? My doctor took a blood test from me and told me it was high but not high enough to worry about. I am a very paranoid person and I was wondering if I do indeed need to go to the ER and if this guy is a quack.
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  User's Response
You might want to ask your doctor...and consider how high your blood pressure is and what other risks you may have for heart disease...overweight, history of heart disease, etc... but 191 is below 200 which is usually where you want it to be... You also need to look at the LDL and HDL bad and good cholesterol.. and triglycerides. Exercise helps the good cholesterol You may need to have your cholesterol checked more often than every five years if one or more of these situations applies to you: Your total cholesterol is 200 mg/dL or more. You are a man over age 45 or a woman over age 50. Your HDL (good) cholesterol is less than 40 mg/dL. You have other risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor