Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Do I have an eating disorder or am I just overreacting?

I think I may have an an EDNOS eating disorder.. I am 15 and I found out that I was moving to a new state right after my father went through a big alcoholic phase.I have lost interest in many things and I have very weird sleeping habits and now I don t eat breakfast, lunch and dinner (i only eat dinner when my family makes me sit down and eat with them) otherwise i just have a small snack.So do i have an eating disorder or am I just overreacting?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Dec 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  157
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dear Anonymous,

We can not and DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT, make any diagnosis, let alone a very non specific and vague diagnosis such as Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (EDNOS)----all these NOS diagnoses in both ICD10 and DSM IV classifications are called "waste basket diagnoses" by us practising they are only made after exhaustive work ups and still not finding the right diagnostic or label to give.

From the brief history you have given it seems you do have a eating problem....your age, your apparent intelligence (15 years old self diagnosing with EDNOS), your gender, your life phase transition/maturation problems, all seem to support this......but weather they are significant enough or broad enough to be given a diagnostic label needs a thorough history taking.

Please ask your parents or carers to take you to a psychiatrist.

Good luck.
Answered: Wed, 22 Dec 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor