Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Dizziness while standing or sitting. What should I do?

hi,i am 20 yrs old. i sometimes feel dizzy like floating in air when i close my eyes,while standing or sitting or lying. i cannot stand in one erect position ata particular angle as i close my eyes and i feel like turning myself. standing in a same position for a long time with closed eyes irritates me. and i am facing this problem since i was 7 years old,and its still there, what shud i do???
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  85
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious neurological problem.

We need to exclude a disease of peripheral nerves (peripheral neuropathy) or spinal cord disease (myelopathy), where one can feel dizzy or lose balance while standing with closed eyes. This is called as Rhomberg's sign in clinical neurology.

Please get examined by a neurologist. He may order for MRI spine and nerve conduction studies for confirmation of diagnosis.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY:

Answered: Tue, 1 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor