• question-icon

Diverticulitis, stomach pain, fever, lack of appetite, bleeding. Normal to pass bleeding tissue?

Hi, lorI was diagnosed with diverticulitis disease earlier this year, I am only 34. Within the last week, I have had server pain, in the lower left hand side of my stomach, fever , lack of appetite/energy and bleeding. Last night was the worst night, I was in a lot of pain, I passed a lot of bright red, fresh blood and then, a large piece of flesh came out from my rectum . Is this normal? Or should I go back to the doctors/hospital? Many thanks,
Mon, 18 Mar 2019

Lot of blood with fresh flesh like thing with stool is no at all normal and can be serious thing.
Since you are a known case of diverticulitis and have pain in abdomen, fever and all symptoms as you have mentioned I would advise you the following:
Rush to nearby hospital or ER fr clinical evaluation, examination and investigations:
Needs symptomatic and supportive management.
Intravenous fluids, antibiotics, metronidazole.
Investigations of blood, stool.
CT scan of abdomen.
Further management as per the findings.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T Chandrakant,
General Surgeon