Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Distressed due to mental illness after death in family. How to treat someone who refuses doctor visits?

hi,doctor, I am in distress.I am in great trouble.I required your kind help. My mother is suffering from mental disorder .In my childhood she started suffering this kind of problem when my elder sister died.I am now 30 yrs old.Still she is continuing this.But before her used to rel ups after a long gap.but after my marriage the gapping became very short.But the real problem is that I cant take her to any doctor,she will not move.So I am very puzzled taking my mothers problem,I cant see my mother dying in this way neither I can do anything for her. Plz help me out of tnis situation.She is deteriorating day by day.Plz take this matter seriously and reply.
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  20
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thank you for writing to us.

I have read about your problem but found it difficult to diagnose as you have not mentioned any symptoms. I'm not saying that she doesn't need help, she does but without making appropriate diagnosis / talking to the patient or talking to the caregiver, it is difficult to prescribe her anything correct.

In my practice I have seen such patients by making a home visit, where one can see the patient's actual condition and prescribe the correct medicine.
Psychiatric diagnosis are made of cluster of symptoms put together. Many symptoms are similar in several conditions. So it becomes difficult to diagnose without good history.

What I would do if facing your situation is -
1. either I' d take my mother forcefully once to a psychiatrist OR
2. bring home a psychiatrist to interview her OR
3. may be talk in detail by making a visit to a psychiatrist my self

The condition you are in is not uncommon in our branch and psychiatrists do understand this.

Please don't loose hope and take any action as stated above, it will surely help your mother. Right medicine puts controls the illness and pt. shows desired response in few weeks only.

hope this reply will help you, feel free to ask further.
Dr. Manisha Gopal
Answered: Sat, 19 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor