Dislocation of the jaw during filling

Once i went to a dentist to get my teeth filled. During filling i had to open my mouth wide. After some time i was not able to close my mouth. I got worried. Some how doctor brought it back to normal. He said you have dislocation of temperomandibular joint. Noe i donot have problem. But when i yawn i feel sound in the jaw. Doctor has told me not to open the mouth wide.
Thu, 13 Oct 2011
Dentist, Endodontics 's  Response
Hello Tulika,
its not in a common practice that you gets your temporomendibular joint dislocated while doing filling by a dentist,but neither you nor your dentist is responsible for this,you just dont worry and take precaution for sometime like while yawning put your hand over the chin and force it so that your mouth dont get wide opened,massage both of your joints near the temple region with any massage oil that will help to strengthen mussles and ligament.
Thanks and wish you a good health
menakasingh's  Response

Yes this happened to my uncle also. His jaw keeps dislocating if he yawns wide or takes big bites of food. The doctor has told him that it is due to weak muscles and ligaments.

Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, your doctor is right. you have had a dislocation of the TMJ. Do not open your mouth very wide. Practise mouth opening exercises regularly and take muscle relaxant medication. Take care!
Dentist Dr. Jenkins sahayam P's  Response
dislocation is a very acute situation, try isometric jaw exercise like trying to open mouth at the same time apply upward thrust of the chin with fist to prvent mouth opening, this strengthens ligament and prevents too much opening and dislocation

mikio's  Response
Dislocation of jaw is very painful. it should be corrected as early as possible. the speech gets altered. yes its better if you wont open your mouth wide.
rita's  Response
dislocation of speech is very painfull...it will lead do dysarthria..and we cannot tale proper food as we cannot chew food properly...and lead to deficirncy of nutrients..