Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Dislocated knuckles after injury. Have swelling and pain. Need to get checked?

I punched a door frame out of anger 4 times, and my knuckle seems to be out of place, when I straighten my finger the knuckle does move but it does not go back into place, when I have a clenched fist my knuckle is not visible but there is a dimple/ indent, and also is very swollen and very painful, I went to the hospital and waited but didn't get seen too, please help. Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  189
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

You should definitely get back to the hospital. Your finger might be dislocated or a bone can be broken as well. As this is about the hand, you need to have it verified and repaired if necessary. Hands are very important for every human and needs to be efficient.

That is why you should get back to the hospital. Simple X-ray should give proper diagnose. If there is a dislocation, usually it can be fixed without the surgery. Some fractures might even need a surgery.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
From description it seems to dislocation , subluxation or fracture. You need an xray to confirm the bony injury. I suggest you get it examined soon by orthopaedician and definitive treatment according to that. In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ashwini Kalantri's  Response

I am Dr Ashwini Kalantri.

You have pain, swelling and deformity which followed trauma. These are definite signs of fracture.

The bones in your hand are most definitely broken. You need immediate medical attention. Have them x-rayed. I would recommend visiting a orthopaedic surgeon.

In the mean time you may use pain killers to reduce pain (Diclofenac Sodium)

Hope I was able to answer your problem.
Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor