Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Difficulty in forming friends, to control emotions due to physical deformities. How to control?

Hi I have a nine year old daughter who was diagnosed a year ago with an under developed front left lobe, she has symptoms of severe ADD. We have her on 30mg of Ritilan and she seems to be coping well with school but her social behaviour seems to be getting worse. She is battling to keep friends and the little girls have even started ganging up against her which is making her behavious worse and she cannot control her outbursts. Please could someone tell me what the side effects are for this condition as I cannot tell what is normal or not anymore?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

Your daughter seems to have what we commonly call as oppositional defiant disorder or ODD. It is common and it might become less with time, however it might be a good idea to give her medications and have her be seen in therapy for family sessions so that she learns to listen to parental figures including teachers. Making friends will be hard for such children and with comorbid ADD it is even harder to find and make friends. I am hoping that her ADD is adequately treated and it is under control.

I hope this advice helped. Please have her be seen by an expert child psychiatrist as soon as possible. Take care and have a nice day !
Answered: Tue, 19 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. It is well documented that ADHD can frequently co-exist with other psychiatric illnesses like conduct disorder or oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) which are characterised by many of the symptoms that you had described.
I would suggest that she undergo a thorough psychiatric evaluation to rule out the other disorders that i mentioned so that appropriate psychotherapy interventions like multisystemic therapy can be initiated. Wish her all the best.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Sun, 24 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor