Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Difficulty in conceiving, have regular diarrhea, cramping, negative pregnancy test. History of treatment for STD. Cause of failure?

I ve been trying to get pregnant, but doesn t seem to working out for me. I ve been having unprotected sex for a little less than a year. I found out that I had clymadia and ghonnarea but I don t know how long I had it for. My fiance got checked out as well and he had the same thing. We both got treated and are fine now. Now knowing that we both had STD s I can understand why nothing was happening with becoming pregnant. Treatment was in April, is there anything I should be concerned about? Because I feel no matter how hard we try nothing is the outcome. What can I do to better my chances? Recently I ve been waking up and feeling like my stomach is upside down and I automatically have to go to the washroom first thing in the morning because of diarrhea . I ve had a few nights of cramping and one night really stood out the most, kind of like someone was pulling and shoving down there and still have a negative test. Overall I m so confused and stuck with no answers or help.
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thank you for getting in touch with us. From what I make out, you and your partner were diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease and treated this April. Many sexually transmitted diseases commonly lead to pelvic inflammatory disease which is a common cause of infertility. I would recommend you to follow-up with your Doctor and check if the treatment was effective. Pelvic inflammatory disease is one of the most common causes of infertility and should be suspected in any female who is not able to conceive after trying for a year. Hope this helped.
Dr. Gagandeep Dhillon
Answered: Mon, 30 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Michelle Gibson James's  Response
Hi, I am sorry that you are experiencing difficulty conceiving.

Infertility is diagnosed after a year of inability to conceive in a couple having regular intecourse.
It can be classifed as primary or secondary. In primary infertility there is no history of any previous conception and in secondary there is a previous history of conception.
It can actually affect 10 to 15 % of couples, so there are alot of persons experiencing the same problem. Luckily these days there are a number of treatment options available.

The causes can be male or female. Fertility requires (1) release of a normal egg (2) production of an adequate amount of healthy sperm (3) transport of the egg and movement of the sperm to the fallopian tube where fertilisation occurs (4) transport of embroyo to endometrial cavity
If a cause cannot be found then the couple is said to have unexplained infertility.

For you the problems with conceiving will be assessed to determine if they are (1) related to the cervix such as a blockage or related to the interaction between the mucus in the cervix and the sperm
(2) related to the uterus- abnormal structure either from congenital causes or acquired
(3) related to the ovaries where there is problems in the release or maturation of an egg (4) related to your age, fertility decreases with advancing age (5) related to the fallopian tube- it can also result in abnormal implantation of the embryo ( ectopic pregnancy) (6) related to the cavity that your womgb occupies- anything like infections , adhesions ( where fibrous tissue causes different parts to stick together). Pelvic inflammatory diseases is one of these factors.

Pelvic inflammatory disease is a infectious and inflammatory condition of the female genital tract and can involve the uterus, the tubes and nearby structures in the pelvis. Some persons may not actually recall having this infection. In most cases it is caused by gonorrhea and chylamdia. It causes scaring and this results in infertilty. Any obstruction can be diagnosed by a test called HSG which looks at the passage of dye or laproscopy.
With present techniques blockages can be reopened , adhesions removed and tubes can also be reconstructed.

You need to determine your fertile period which is generally 2 weeks after the onset of your periods ( if regular) and your fertile period woud be 3 or 4 days before and after this point.
If your are having regular sex during this time period and still experiencing difficulty then you need to consider seeing a specialist.

He or she will need to see both you and your partner for a comprehensive history and to conduct an examination. They will then conduct appropiate investigations.

Don't lose hope , in the present medical enviroment with the number of treatment options available, pregnancy can be usually be acheived.

I hope this information is helpful to you and I wish you the best
Answered: Mon, 30 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor