Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Difficulty breathing, have muscle skeleton issues, upper body tension. Reason?


Having difficulty breathing. I’ve been to the ER and my health is perfect. (Perfect heart, lungs and blood work). I was diagnosed with muscle-skeleton issues. My upper body is always tight due to tension from sitting at a desk all day. I’ve been seeing a chiropractor and a massage therapist and I am feeling 80% better. I still have breathing issues, but not as bad as they were. I still have tension in my upper body (neck, arms, shoulders and upper back). My chest is in constant spasm. I’ve noticed that carrying bags, pocket book, groceries, etc. makes it difficult to breathe. Also, typing makes it difficult to breathe. The breathing issue feels like it is coming from my chest muscles.

I feel like I am going crazy! I am very active and lift weights on a regular basis, but have stopped since this breathing thing developed. Is it possible that I have a chest injury that is causing the breathing or do you think this is all muscle related? I do not have any pain anywhere. This is very scary.

Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Since you have got all basic investigations done and evaluated your heart and lungs as well that leaves you with a muscular cause for the tension of muscles of the chest.
There can be two causes for muscle tension, either physical or psychological/emotional. In the former, usually, injury, strain, overworking a muscle, repetitive motion, and the use of poor body mechanics while work outs can all cause muscle tension. And psychological causes are anxiety, stress, low mood or more complicated ones that one might not be aware of him/herself.
For a physical problem you may visit an orthopaedician or a sports medicine specialist if available and for a psychological one, a psychiatrist can help you out.
Hope this helps,
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor
Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor