Differance between a heart attack and a stroke

what is the differance between a heart attack and a stroke ?
Tue, 30 Jul 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Hi there,
Firstly heart attack involves the heart and stroke involves the brain.In both cases the blood supply is reduced leading to death of tissue.In heart attack the heart tissue dies.The function of the heart reduce.There is reduced pumping of the blood depending on the severity of the heart attack and quantity of tissue lost.This can lead to problems like shortness of breath,hypotension,tiredness etc.A massive attack can cause the heart to stop function completely and the person dies.
In stroke the area of the brain where the tissue is damaged stops functioning.There is focal loss of function.The person will not be able to do an activity controlled by that part of the brain.It results in condition like hemiplegia wherein one side of the body is non functional.Recovery is slow and unpredictable.Chances of death after first episode is much lesser compared to heart attack.
Neurologist Dr. Sandhya Manorenj's  Response
A heart attack occurs when blood flow to a part of the heart is blocked, usually by a blood clot. Without oxygenated blood, the heart muscle begins to die. A stroke is a brain attack, cutting off vital blood flow and oxygen to the brain. Stroke happens when a blood vessel feeding the brain gets clogged or bursts.

mariaangeles's  Response
A stroke is a serious medical condition that occurs when the blood supply to the brain is disturbed. A heart attack, is when part of the heart muscle dies because it has been starved of oxygen. A heart attack usually occurs when a blood clot forms in one of the coronary arteries (the blood vessels that lead to the heart muscle), blocking the blood supply to the heart. A blockage can also sometimes be caused by a spasm (sudden narrowing) of a coronary artery.