Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Did physical therapy for bulging disc in lumbar. Sciatic pain on both sides of the body. MRI shows central disc protrusion. What does it mean?

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with a bulging disc in my lumbar , I went to physical therapy and the pain I was experiencing went away. However in the past three years I ve been having horrible sciatica pain in both my right and left sides. I ve done physical therapy with no avail which lead for my general doctor to have me get new imaging. My results of MRI showed that I have disc generation with small central disc protrusion indenting ventral thecal sac at L5-S1. What does this mean?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

As per the new MRI report, there is a disc bulge (mild) at L5-S1 level (lower back region), which is central in location, which is probably compressing nerves on both sides.

This is a minor abnormality and no surgery is needed to correct it.

In addition to physiotherapy, you require neuropathic pain medications, as you still have pain despite physical therapy. These medications include pregabalin or gabapentin.

Please discuss this with your doctor.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Answered: Fri, 11 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor