Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with type two diabetes. Taking metformin, glipizide. High fasting blood sugar. Treatment?

hi, my husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a couple of months ago. He was prescribed Metformin 500mg twice a day, and glipizide 10mg once a day. He has not been checking his blood sugar regularly. This morning after fasting he took his blood sugar and it was 245. He is in a panic right now. We have lost our health insurance and don t know what to do. thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  119
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Mam,
thanks for using HCM
Diabetes is a chronic disease and as a goal diabetics after a while should be able to make some little adjustments in the dosages of their anti-diabetic drugs based on their blood sugar level and or symptoms. Unfortunately, your husband was just recently diagnosed and put on treatment only a couple of months back; so it is likely that he cannot fully understand how his anti-diabetic regimen affects his various blood sugar levels .
What he needs is that a daily follow up of his blood sugar level should be done to better understand how his blood sugar level varies with respect to the dosage of drug he is taking and to see if the dosage has to be added or not and to rule out any contributing factor to poor blood sugar control like infection, an incorrect in take method of drugs etc. A fasting blood sugar level of 245 is high but is not as bad and alarming that should make him panic cause stress further increases his sugar level. All he needs is a follow up with adjustment of the dosages of his drugs if necessary.
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor