Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. History of seizures,had taken anti-convulsion medicines. Should the history be revealed to the doctor?

My son is experiencing acute right face pain that radiates to his temple and eye area. he has been checked by the dentist who says there is no dental problem. he saw his GP who gave him pain killers which have not touched the pain at all. this has been going on for 5 days. He has returned to the doctor who has examined him and suggested it is Trigeminal Neuralgia and prescribed amitryptaline and dihydrocodine. My concern is that although he is 30 years old now, when he was a child aged 7 he started to have seizures, was diagnosed and treated with anticonvulsants until he was weaned off at aged 10 yrs. His father was diagnosed with an anyurism when he was approimately the same age my son is now (he has been on anticonvulsants since) . My son did not tell the doctor of this history....Should he go back to the doctor and ask for a referral to a specialist?
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

I agree with a possible diagnosis of Trigeminal neuralgia. However, any acute onset Trigeminal neuralgia requires investigations.

So, I feel, you should tell the GP the previous history and ask for a referral to the neurologist. MRI brain should be done to look for any structural abnormality, such as demyelination, etc.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor