Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Fluctuating blood pressure levels, elevated heart rate and panic attacks. On medication for cholesterol, thyroid and vitamin D. Advice?

my mother s age is over 50 and she s diagnosed with hypothyroidsim. since then she s been taking meds according to a known heart specialist here and since then her BP has been fluctuating ever since. although 1 and half year it was a few days in months but now it s happening every other day. She has a heart racing so fast and has panic attacks anxiety that we would rush to the doctor only to find everything normal just the BP little bit high or low. We have done a thorough heart check up and it has come normal. She is taking meds for cholestrol, hypothyorid, for calcium and Vitamin-D. Can u tell what is the problem now since its happening everyday. what should i do ? we have also done blood test for sugar and cholestrol levels which are a little high and she s regualting it since then.
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  79
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for writing in HCM.
A person with hypothyroidism experiences anxiety episodes due to the hormonal imbalance that is caused by the under secretion of thyroid hormone. The thyroid hormone does not only control the proper functioning of all other hormones in the body but also the proper functioning of the brain. You should repeat her thyroid function test. If her thyroid levels are normal then these problems may be due to stress. She should avoid stress. You can take Electronic BP apparatus for home to keep record of BP. If it comes within normal limits every times, then you can give her some anxiolytic medicines. For High cholestrol and high blood sugar level she should avoid sweets, fruits that contains high sugar like banana, grapes and mango, fried food , milk with cream, butter and fatty diet. She should take brisk walk at-least for one hour in a day. If her Fasting blood sugar is in above range i.e >110 mg/dl then you should go for Glycosylated haemoglobin test . It will confirm her sugar level best.
Wishing you a good health.
Answered: Fri, 31 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor