Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with herpes. Prescribed aciclovir tablets and cream. What type of herpes? Can have sex?

i had a rash last week thursday, went to my GP he said it was herpes, he said you get it after you have had chicken pox, it stay in your body after chicken pox goes away. I was shocked and forgot to ask him important questions. he has given me Aciclovir tablets 800g and aciclovir cream 5%. i want to know what kind of herpes this is, type one or type two, or if its shingles. and will be able to have sex with my partner without transmitting it. I Have not had sexual contact with anyone, ever, not before or after. the rash has gone crusty right now.
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

I think you have developed Herpes Zoster and not simple Herpes. Zoster is late reactivation of chicken pox virus (varicella). After attack of chicken pox the virus lie dormant in nerves, and in states of stress, immunosuppression there occur reactivation of virus and which manifest in form of zoster. I assume you have developed lesions on back only and these are not genital lesions. It is not communicable and you can have sex during zoster.
Herpes infection is caused by Herpes virus and it is a STD and is different from zoster.

Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor