Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with curvature of spine. Why do I feel like rib cage sinking in hips?

I am currently 65 years of age, stand 5 7 , weigh about 135lbs, generally in good health. I ve lost approximately 2 in height in the past ten years or so. I was first diagnosed with a 26 degree curvature of the spine in the Spring of 2009. I had an MRI of the lumbar region about a week ago which showed dessicated disk all along the lumbar region. I ve suffered discomfort in the left and right hips for some time. My left hip went numb while bending over for long periods of time installing a new roof on my garage. I often feel as though my rib cage is sinking into my hips. My fear is that this sinking of the rib cage will get worse over time to the point that I will be unable to enjoy and active life. Can you give my some information as to the usual progression of this type of condition? I thank you for your time. Frank
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Homeopath 's  Response
Hello Friend,
Thank you for posting your query through Healthcare magic.
Your condition is called as Kyphosis. But kyphosis simply means bending forward posture of your spine. You have very well understood what has happened with your vertebrae. To get reduced by 2 inches height within 10 years is not very serious. But your diagnosis of 26% curvature 4 years back was alarming. But you did not take proper curative treatment for that, I imagine. That is why you had to get now the diagnosis of dessicated discs last week.
Conventional medicine may give you the reason for your condition as osteoporosis. But if asking for the reason for it they may end with the answer of poor intake of calcium, or poor assimilation of it. If asked further why in your case only calcium was not absorbed or assimilated and why you only suffered among others in your family or community, their answer is bleak.
Here is the area where Homoeopathy makes a thoroughfare and gives the answer based on its theory of Miasms. This simply means that you had a genetic tendency to get curvature in the spine.
In India, some 50 years back, the number of stooping individuals were more. They were all affected with the Tuberculosis of the spine. Now since the Anti Tubercular treatment became more popular and the health awareness of the common people increased, the incidence of theses stooping patients are considerably reduced.
But the Miasm of Tuberculosis ( Forgive me it is a Homoeopathic concept) is running through generations and is affecting population by producing diseases of your type. Anti Tuberculosis treatment can control Tuberculosis but cannot touch the 'Tubercular Miasm". In Homoeopathy we do not call it Tuberculosis but Tubercular. Miasms are those genetic tendencies that an individual gets through the previous generations and transferred to the individual from his parents.
Just like you cannot any more change your parents, you cannot any more change your Miasm. It is being shown in your mind and body through the present disease and its symptoms.
That means, I am sorry to tell, you cannot make much changes by treatment to make you stand erect and lead a normal active life as before. There may be some artificial surgical mechanisms ( I am ignorant about that. )to help you for which I request you to consult an orthopaedic surgeon.
My duty is not to put you in disappointment, but to give you hope in Homoeopathy.
This would have been more helpful if you had done it years back when you started observing reduction of height, numbness in lower extremities etc. Homoeopathy can prevent your disease from becoming worse and can prevent the process of dessication of the discs.
Therefore you should also consult an expert Homoeopathic physician for genetic constitutional treatment for cure along with ortho consultation for any physical management at the earliest.
With Best Wishes,
Dr C. J. Varghese,
Answered: Thu, 9 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor