Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with acute bronchitis. Having severe rib pain. Hurts to touch, cough, sneeze. Cause?

I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis . I am suffering with severe rib? pain. It feels like my ribs are broken. I had xrays taken two different times and both times they came out normal. However, I still suffer with the pain. It s been about 2 weeks now. It hurts worse when I cough or sneeze . It hurts internally & to touch or press on it from the outside. I was looking at costrochonritis (sp?) and Tietze syndrome . They look like maybe possible causes of my symptoms. I hurt from all the way on the left to the far right under my breasts mainly. Do you know any other reason for this pain? Or how to get rid of it? Pain meds do not help. Nothing does.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  881
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thanks for your query,
The 2 x rays being normal eliminate almost completely the possibility of a respiratory tract infection or pneumonia. tenderness to touch is however suggestive of an inflammatory origin. Treitz syndrome would have been very likely if the pain was so intense at the junction between the sternum and the ribs.
Measuring markers of inflammation in this case could make things clearer. Increased ESR and CrP levels shall be in favour of an acute inflammatory state. I suggest these markers of inflammation should be run, and if positive, corticosteroids and analgesics could be appropriate for the start.
Thanks and hope this helps, Making an appointment with an internist could help.
best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Sat, 23 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Packriswamy Sambangi's  Response
Costochondritis and Tietze symptoms can cause to inflammation of the cartilage that joins the ribs to breastbone.
If you develop pain , your doctor will advise you to rest and avoid participating in any activities that aggravate the pain.
Answered: Sat, 23 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor