Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with RA. Taking OTC medicines, like Tylenol, Aleve, Ibuprofen. What else?

Over 4-5 years ago, my wife was diagnosed with RA. We have just recently moved about 3 months ago, and we both had to get new jobs, and as such, do not have any insurance right now to cover and doctors visits or perscriptions. Since that time, she has started taking some OTC medicines, like Tylenol , Aleve , Ibuprofen , and also some Arthritis rubs for the joints. However, it seems that it just gets worse and worse by the day. She can barely move on days and just cries her eyes out because of the pain she is in. It is threatening her employement because of her missing days. Also, she is to the point where she can t take it anymore. She is in constant pain and nothing seems to help. We don t know what to do anymore. We would like to see some one about getting some help, but because of the no insurance, and also because of the missed work, we can not afford a doctors appointment. Is there something we can do?
Asked On : Wed, 26 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.

I would like to tell you about nature of the disease so that you can better understand the disease.

It is an autoimmune disease, which means the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue and is also a long-term disease that leads to inflammation of the joints and surrounding tissues.

She have to be started on medication called disease modifying anti rheumatoid drugs(DMARD) alone or in combination with biologicals (Immunomodulators). Since these are prescription drugs and regular follow up would be required, it would be best to see general physician for the same.

I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness
Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Wed, 26 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor