Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with PID infection. Taking antibiotics, infection subsided. Will it affect my fertility?

Hi im 25 yrs old...I am a married since this june,have been diagnoised with PID...ive taken the treatment for it,my doctor said that in the month of october that i no more have the infection,but has advised me to concieve early as this infection can come again and may block my tubes due to which i may not concieve later.
Asked On : Wed, 7 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

It is true that PID infection if not treated can lead to infertility by blocking of tubes. This occurs due to adhesions (scarring).
It is always better to conceive early as with age many hormonal problems arise. Besides the age can itself have an impact on pregnancy by predisposing to defects in baby, miscarriage and still birth risks.

All PID do not result in infertility. So do not panic.

If you do not wish to conceive now, then use of condoms is a good way to avoid genital infections and pregnancy as well.
Take care.

Answered: Thu, 8 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Stephen Christensen's  Response
Hello. I'm sorry you've been having problems.
Depending on the study you read, the risk of infertility following a single episode of PID ranges from 10 to 40%. (Most studies place the infertility risk around 20%.) And, if you have another episode of PID, your risk of becoming infertile doubles.
It isn't clear how long it takes after an episode of PID for infertility issues to appear, but even one episode of PID could cause enough scarring to block your tubes, and this scarring could worsen over time. Whether this should prompt you to have children earlier is debatable. After all, there are other things to take into consideration before a couple decides to begin a family, and there are ways to improve your chances of conceiving if your PID does cause tubal blockage.
This is a decision that only you and your husband can make, based on your personal situation. You might want to talk to a gynecologist or fertility specialist to get some additional information before you make that decision.
I hope that answers your question, and good luck!
Answered: Thu, 8 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor