Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with Osteomyelitis, infection in tibia, below growth plate. Xray suggested stunted growth. What can be done?

My son unfortunately was diagnosed with Osteomyelitus when he was three weeks old. The infection was in the upper/inner side of his Tibia just below the growth plate. It was treated in what I believe to be the usual manner, drilled, washed out with antibiotics , then a tube left in leg to drain the remainder of infection for an amount of days. A week or so later the area was washed through with antibiotics. A further course of antibiotics for the next 9 weeks ensued to clear the infection. The problem lays with the did the growth plate get infected so will it stop that side of the tibia growing at the same rate as the good side . A year later and x-rays suggest that the growth plate on the previously infected site is either: a) not growing b) growing slower c) growing differently The Orphopedic surgeon who has been dealing with my son has now referred us to Mr Gaffey a specialist in this field of which we await the appointment date. 1) is it standard to inhibit the good side of growth plate then fit the external frame? 2) due to the young nature therefore growthplate still active, is it not possible to use stem cells to regenerate the damaged cartilage in growth plate? Kev
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  75
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Radiologist 's  Response
Hi, welcome to HCM.
It is common to damage growth plate due to such severe infection. Treatment plan used was correct so no need to think about it.
Present treatment for damaged growth plate is solely depends on conditions of bone. Stem cells therapy is quite difficult for just a single bone. However expert opinion is helpful in this manner. There may be a chance of shortness of height in future.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Sat, 23 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor