Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with Hutchinson summer prurigo. What is the best treatment available apart from steroids?

Hi My daughter was diagnosed with Hutchinson summer prurigo and i am wondering if there are any doctors who specialize in this in the country. We dont have a very proactive dermatologist and as a mommy I feel helpless in how to help my child. One thing is for certain, that I wont keep subjecting her to steroid after steroid at such a young age. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated thank you so much
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  124
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Very sorry to say but the fact is,there  is no cure for this condition also called as actinic prurigo. The main goal is prevention by avoiding sun exposure. Patients should be taught to adhere to sun protection strategies to avoid or reduce outbreaks as this condition gets worsened in sunniest time of the year.
medications are used to help relieve symptoms and besides topical steroids,they are
Emollients to relieve itching.
Antimalarials such as hydroxychloroquine for their anti-inflammatory action.

In some cases the condition spontaneously resolves in early adult life. However, in others it remains throughout their lifetime with relapses  according to the seasons.
Be in regular touch with the dermatologist.
Answered: Wed, 19 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor