Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed resistant bacterial UTI, reflux from bladder, foreskin retracted, been bleeding. What can be done?

my nephew has just turned 4 and the primary MD diagnosed a resistant bacterial UTI . After treatment for the UTI, she recommended a dye test that would determine if he was having reflux from the bladder into the kidney. My sister was told to take him to a pediatric urologist which she did, even though my nephew has had only one UTI. At the appointment, the doctor forcably retracted the foreskin which was extremely painful for my nephew. After he did this without my sisters permission, the doctor told my sister that my nephew would have to have the procedure and that he would also have to be circumcised. My brother in law is uncircumcised, and neither were planning to have my nephew circumcised. My nephew fell asleep on the drive home and did not wake up until the next day. The next morning, my sister discovered that he had been bleeding overnight. My concern is reguarding the bleeding. How much damage could have been done by this doctor retracting the foreskin so forceably? Now that he had injured my nephew, is the circumcision needed due to the damage the doctor inflicted on my nephew?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Your nephew might be having phimosis , due to which after retraction of skin he developed bleeding because of laceration.
In this condition circumcision is required, if not done it may lead to recurrent urinary tract infections and obstruction to urine flow later.
Urine infections in boys above 1 year should be evaluated for the underlying abnormality for reflux.
So consult your Pediatric urologist and plan for the circumcision and for the dye test procedure as he advised.
Hope I have answered your query.
Answered: Mon, 11 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor