• question-icon

Diagnosed mastocytosis. Multiplying small brown spots all over body. Can it be treated with laser?

I was diagnosed with mastocytosis in 2011 after two serious anaphylaxis episodes that seem to have been brought on by no particular trigger. Randomly an allergist asked if i had any odd spots or rashes I showed him the small brown spots that had been rapidly multiplying all over my torso, one scratch and he was convinced it was mastocytosis. Skin biopsies, blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy confirmed. I was handed some epi-pens, antihistamines, and something for my stomach and a list of things I needed to avoid (which seems extensive and unreasonable for a 28 year old athletic female living in a city that is 110 degrees and humid). All this seems manageable to me and although I have not been happy about it, the spots have quickly multiplied all over me, legs and and arms, making me resemble a cheetah I think. Now though, they have begin to show on my face, this is something that is very upsetting for me as I do a lot of promotional work and modeling. I have heard the spots can be lasered which I would not try to do for my whole body since there are so many but would easily consider for my face. I have called drs here about it but I have been told they know little about mastocytosis and would not feel comfortable trying to treat it. I don t know if lasering is possible but would love to know if it is and if there is a dr who can do it. I am in Austin tx. THANKS!
Mon, 28 Oct 2013
Welcome to healthcare magic,
Laser is not a treatment for mastocytosis. Puva treatment works. It is a UVA light based therapy. I would recommend you to go to a higher center where the dermatology department is good. At your age spreading new lesions of mastocytosis should be monitored and systemic involvement and mast cell leukemia should be ruled out.
Hope this helped