Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome. Surgery recommended. Any relief if arthritis causing nerve compression?

Hi - I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and have had surgery recommended by a hand specialist. My symptoms are really centered in the pain in my thumb , forefinger and middle finger on my right hand. My left hand is dominant. My question has to do with the fact that I have a great deal of osteoarthritis in my right hand, the one with cps. How much relief will I have if I have the endoscopic surgery if the arthritis is causing the nerve compression? I am a 75 year old woman in good general health, and am confused as to whether to undergo the surgery if the arthritis is not address..
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  20
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
You are having Carpal tunnel syndrome, there must be continuous and not responding symptoms of pain and signs of nerve compression due to arthritis.
You should understand that nerve compression causes symptoms as well as muscle wasting and weakness of grip.
Look arthritis is long standing disease but if it is causing nerve compression and not responding to other form of therapy then surgery is the only option left.
Release of the transverse carpal ligament is known as "carpal tunnel release" surgery
Please discuss with your surgeon before taking a decision.
Take care.
Good Luck.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Answered: Thu, 30 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor