Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Diabetic, tests showed high triglycerides. What type of diet is advisable?

MY HUBBY S TRYGLYCERIDES LEVEL IS 457. VLDL CHOLESTEROL 91. his Hb A1cTEST observation is 6.70. is it that he has type 2 diabetes due to which his tryglycerides r so high?? his weight is 85 with a height of 5ft 9 . His age is 38. what kind of foods intake should he hv , he being a pure vegan minus the milk consumption. And how much food should he hv for one meal?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Your husband's BMI is in overweight range (>25 /
The triglyceride is high (it is a part of VLDL). For proper assessment, 14-hour fasting is necessary!
He needs strict DIET - qualitative and quantitative change (low calorie / low carbohydrate). You are the one to provide! (Does he cook?) / A vegan should avoid saturated fats - like palm oil, coconut oil, butter, ghee and so on
He needs regular EXERCISE
If not improved in a month and half, he will need DRUGS - generally fibrates are started (if LDL cholesterol is normal - you have not mentioned! / at times statins or nicotinic acid will be added)
HbA1c is useful for follow up of diabetes. Its value in diagnosis is debatable. A GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) will be the best / If not, a 12-hour fasting and another sample 2 hours after 75 grams of glucose has to be done
Take care
Good luck

Answered: Mon, 8 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor