Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Diabetic taking glimepiride. Having stomach aches. History of diverticulosis, sigmoid resection. Do I need to go for colonoscopy?

I am diabetic, take glimepiride 1 mg a day, and am 58 years old. My A1c is usually below 6 or around there. Lately I have gotten stomach aches after eating coca-roasted almonds... is that a sign of a deteriorating diabetes condition? I also have diverticulosis and had to have a sigmoid resection in 2009, after my initial episode of diverticulitis that would not be cured with antibiotics for a very long period of time (6 months). I am concerned that my digestive tract is not good... I am also experiencing lower abdominal cramping all the way across my lower colon area, and it concerns me as I know my diverticulosis is present throughout my colon. I suppose I need another colonoscopy , but the surgeon who did the colectomy said I didn t need one for 10 years... ? I am also overweight by about 60 lbs.
Asked On : Mon, 17 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Stomach ache after taking coca-roasted almonds may be due to acute gastroenteritis or simple gastritis.
Do you have water shit/ fever/ spasmodic abdominal pain/ vomiting?
If yes, then there is chance of gastritis and you should consult with physician and gastro-physician and should go for proper antibiotic treatment with proton pump inhibitors and antispasmodics.
If no, then you should go for endoscopy after consult with physician.
Regarding your diverticulitis, if you are getting fever with abdominal pain then it may be acute in nature and colonoscopy is contraindicated as there is risk of perforation.
You should take high fibrous diet with plenty of water.
You should also take anti-inflammatory medicine for decreasing inflammation.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Mon, 17 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor