Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Diabetic taking Glyburide. Sensitive to other brands. Medication not available. What to do?

Hi Doctor, My father has diabetes and uses pills. He is using specific brand of Glyburide which is Canadian brand and it is Apo-Glyburide (Apotex company). he is sensitive to other brand Glyburide. Now he is in trouble to find this specific brand in my country. I tried to buy these pills from Canada, but they are asking for prescription and don t accept my country prescription. I was wondering if you help me and tell me waht can I do.
Asked On : Thu, 30 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diabetologist 's  Response
Aug 2012
Dear Golmohan,

If you cannot seek the medications for him, you cannot for sure keep him run high on sugars. So he must take some alternative medications before his sugars shoot too high and make it difficult for all of you to manage it. Try other alternatives of the drug family if not the same drug, like gliclazide etc. You must take him to a Physician or diabetologist to check on that. He might be sensitive to other brands of glyburide, but not to gliclazide or glimepiride kind of medications. So show him immediately as doctors will certainly decide what would be best for him. Insulin is safest that way. If he develops allergy to any other sulphonyluria tablets then insulin will take care of his sugars. But seeing the doctor personally will solve the problem. All the best.
Answered: Thu, 30 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response
I don't know in which country you are this belong to sulphonyl urea group of antidiabetic drugs patients do tolerate a specific brand some time. But if he is really allergic or intolerant to other drug . You can try other group of antidiabetic drugs .There are many oral drugs are there. Otherwise a Human insulin may be used in any case.
Consult a Physician any he can suggest local brand available there this shold not be a big problem.
Good Luck.
Answered: Thu, 30 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor