Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Diabetic, pain in lower back and stomach, blood in urine. Does this indicate kidney failure?

My brother-in-law is a diabetic who does not eat like he should or take his meds. He does not even check his blood sugar . For the last few week he has been having pain in the lower back and stomach and peeing blood. I am sure this is some sort of kidney damage and he needs to see a doctor but could it mean kidney failure?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  51
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
With the available described symptoms, there appears to be least possibility of kidney involvement.
Backache, abdominal pain and peeing blood suggest involvement of gastrointestinal tract involvement not kidney.
Although he is at risk of development of kidney disease also.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
He should also go for complete hemogram, renal function test, clotting time and bleeding time, and ultrasound imaging.
He should also go for per rectal examination and if necessary then he must go for colonoscopy.
There may be chances of acute bacterial gastroenteritis, colon ulcer, and malignancy.
take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
First of all this doesn't mean kidney failure.
Kidney failure has other symptoms like loss of appetite,lethargy,anemia,swelling of body in initial period and later on other symptoms due o accumulation of waste in the body like alteration of thinking etc.
The causes of pain in stomach associated with blood in urine may be due to bladder infection,kidney infection,kidney stones,bladder Tumors etc.
This requires complete investigation like urinalysis,ultrasound abdomen or CT abdomen etc.
As far as sugar levels are concerned,your brother in law should make all the efforts to control it meticulously otherwise uncontrolled sugar can play havoc with his body,since it can cause various micro as well as macro vascular complications in future.
You should consult a doctor and get the complete and comprehensive treatment from him.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor