Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Diabetic, has signs of impending stroke, diagnosed with enlarged heart. What can be done?

My mom is 73 years old and diabetic. Four days ago she showed signs of an impending stroke (she was weak and her speech seemed to be slurry) so we brought her to the hospital and she stayed there for two days. She had been diagnosed with an enlarged heart . how critical is that? what can be done? Please reply... I am so worried, we all are... I can feel now my heart enlarging with worry as well :(
Asked On : Mon, 24 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

You should understand that your mother ha Diabetes and symptoms she had now if she has recovered completely has suffered TIA(Transient Ischemic Attack) of some kind hope fully a CT Scan /MRI Angiography must have been done if not it must be done to know extent of brain damage.

Enlarged heart indicate heart failure by Echocardiography that is ejection fraction which must be low such patient can have clot in heart which could cause Stroke.

Keep diabetes under tight control,same for Blood pressure,Lipid profile if deranged. Decrease salt intake walking regularly helps a lot.

She must be investigated for blocks in major neck arteries,called carotids by Doppler study.SHE MUST TAKE MEDICINES REGULARLY.

Please take care of your mother and do not worry.

Best of health to her.
Answered: Mon, 24 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor