Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Diabetic, Hb1ac high, Prescribed Amaryl, Gyciphaage. Sugar level remained same. Should I continue same medication?

Hi sir , I am having diabetes issue since 6 years. But i was not using medicine regularly . However some time back when i checked my Hb1ac , it showing 9.0 Now i have started started the medicine which was earlier prescribed by doctor. 1) Amaryl 1 mg ( Morning) 2) Gyciphaage sr 500 mg. My checked the sugar level today after 2 hours meal , it was showing 180 mg. I have seen that when i take only Gyciphase 500 mg, i got the same result at most. Please suggest can i continue with same medicine or shall i change it. Thanks, Baliram
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
I would suggest that you continue with both drugs. Placing patients on anti diabetic drugs takes into consideration age and other associate risk factors. Apart from only controlling blood glucose, Amaryl has other protective cardiovascular-nephrogenic protective advantages with respect to diabetes as a chronic disease.
I suggest you continue with this protocol, or might meet your treating physician for a more closer discussion. However, remember never to alter to top or add a drug on your own. For two reasons, first because the consequences could be immediate and fatal, and secondly because the choice o a drug usually considers the patient as a whole and not as a disease.
Thanks as I hope this helps,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Thu, 14 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
First of all make it sure that you take the medicines regularly and keep a tight control of your blood sugar levels.
Uncontrolled diabetes leads to future micro vascular as well as macro vascular complications.
As far as treatment is concerned you must consult a doctor or a diabetologist and get yourself examined thoroughly by getting kidney function tests along with lipid profile done.
Must also get your eyes examined by an eye doctor.
Never take any anti diabetic medicine of your own.
Your treatment should be under a supervision of a doctor and that too on regular basis.
Keep a regular date with your doctor.
Make sure to do regular exercises along with proper diet control.
Bring your weight down in the required BMI range,if you are overweight.
Keep your blood pressure maintained.
Although the medicines,you are taking are all right but you must consult your doctor and then take them after thorough investigations.
Answered: Wed, 13 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor