Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Diabetes under control, has consistent ankle swelling that has moved up to ankle after using socks. Suggestive treatment?

My father-in-law (age 78) has diabetes (under control and not insulin dependent) and his ankle had been swollen for months. He was just prescribed special socks and now after wearing them for a weel the swelling has moved to his calf . His calf is red, swollen and very hard. It is causing him considerable pain. He is going to go to another doctor next week for a second opionion but wonder if you have any suggestions on causes or what type of doctor he should see?
Asked On : Sat, 29 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  60
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hallo friend,

As you mention your father is type 2 diabetic .Now present with ankle swelling which now extend to calf.
Its nothing but cellulitis.
In diabetic patient cellulitis is very common due to immunocompromise state.
High blood sugar level favours staphyloccal infection.
This cellulitis may convert in abscess formation later on if not control.
So,consult endocrinologist and surgeon,need antibiotic cover for staph in form of amox,serial usg of affected area to see any abscess formation,if abscess form then drain it in addition most important is strict controll of blood sugar level.
Take care.
Answered: Sat, 29 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor